This website is dedicated to Jocelean (Swan) Hall.
Jocelean was born at Manners Sutton, NB on October 13, 1933 a daughter of the late Clarence David and Zella May (Wilson) Swan.
Jo contracted polio in 1954. She embraced life and her courage, grace and strength inspired many. Jo taught Home Economics and later switched to secretarial work. She was employed by NB Department of Health, Industrial Safety Council, Worker’s Compensation Board, and The Council of Maritime Premiers.
Jo was a noted amateur historian, genealogist and author of several genealogy books. Her enthusiasm, unwavering commitment, understanding and support made her a beloved member of her community and the centre of her family.
Jocelean had a great interest in genealogy and single-handedly compiled genealogies for practically every family in the greater Harvey area. Without her efforts our understanding of the history of our ancestors would have been pretty sketchy. As a result of her efforts the settlement history of Harvey is probably amongst the best documented anywhere. She may have been an amateur historian, but that was only because she didn’t earn a salary at what was really a professional contribution.
She will long be remembered for her history/genealogical talents, her research, her willingness to assist others and the documents she produced.
Some of the books authored, co-authored and compiled by Jocelean Swan Hall.
- The Families of Eleanor Piercy Lister, Mary Ann Piercy Lister, Jane Piercy Swan, And Margaret Piercy Wood. Daughters of Matthew Piercy (1815-1889) and Agnes Moffitt (1815-1886). Compiled by Jocelean Swan Hall.
- The Swan Family (early 1800’s – 1980) by Jocelean Swan Hall and Margaret Swan Crozier.
- The Wilsons of Harvey, 1798-1983. By Jocelean Swan Hall.
- The Grieve Saga. The Family of William Grieve & Eleanor Turnbull and their Descendants (1794-2004) from Harvey, N.B. and the Comox Valley, B.C. Compiled by William (Bill) McEwen, Assisted by Jocelean Swan Hall.
- The Little Family of Harvey Settlement, 1786-1992. Compiled by Janet Swan Watson, Brenda Saunders Swan, and Jocelean Swan Hall.
Jo entrusted her collection of Harvey history and genealogies to Gerry Piercy, founding President of the Harvey Regional Heritage & Historical Association where her work has been archived and protected.
She passed away December 10, 2010.
Prepared by Harvey Regional Heritage & Historical Association with excerpts from her obituary.