– Pre-European Settlement –
The Wolastoquiyik (Maliseet) aboriginal people inhabited the area after the last ice age which covered the New Brunswick up to 13,000 years ago.
– 1776 –
Prince William, established by Loyalist refugees from the American Revolutionary War, was the first major settlement in the area.
– 1786 –
The Parish of Prince William was established, named for Prince William who later became King William IV. He was Patron of the King’s American Dragoons who settled there. the Parish included parts of what are now known as Dumfries Parish, Manners-Sutton Parish and McAdam Parish.
Lake George settlement was established, named after John McGeorge.
– 1822 –
Magundy was settled by Irish immigrants.
– 1831 –
Magaguadavic was first settled as Caledonia Settlement. By 1866, it was known as Magaguadavic, a name derived from the aboriginal name, Magcecaatavik, meaning river of big eels.
– 1834 –
Ensor Settlement was established, named after Charles Ensor who had a land grant in the area. The settlement name changed to Tweedside in 1850.
– 1837 –
The Cornelius of Sunderland departs Berwick-Upon-Tweed on May 29, arriving in Saint John six weeks later. On arrival in Canada they found that during their voyage the King of England had died and there was a young Queen Victoria on the throne! The settlers commence work clearing land in August and manage to build 21 log houses before winter.
– 1838 –
After spending the winter in Fredericton, the settlers walk to Harvey in April and begin planting crops.
– 1839 –
New Market settled by immigrants from Northern Ireland.
– 1839 –
– 1840 –
The first Presbyterian Church is formed in Harvey Settlement.
– 1839 –
– 1842 –
Acton settled, named for John Emerick Edward Dalbert, Baron of Acton.
– 1842 –
Little Settlement established, named for John Little (1786-1872)
– 1842 –
Cork settled by Irish immigrants with 57 homesteads. It was first known as Teetotal Settlement,
– 1848 –
John Cockburn is running an Inn in Harvey. He built one of the first framed homes in Harvey.
– 1850 –
The Swan and Rutherford families arrive in Harvey and settle on a ridge of land next to Oromocto Lake. They name their settlement Tweedside, formerly known as Ensor Settlement.
The first church is built. All three branches of Presbyterianism then existing in the Settlement worship there together.
The first woolen manufacturing firm is founded in York Mills by George Lister.
David Glendenning is the first licensed schoolteacher in Harvey.
The European & North American Railway Company completes the section of railway that passes through Harvey Settlement. It becomes known as Harvey Station.
W.W.E. Smith’s Store is opened and their first supplies are purchased with gold nuggets.
The great Saxby Gale blew through Harvey on October 4-5, completely destroying a church in Cork, damaging other buildings in Harvey, and blowing down thousands of trees in the area.
Alexander Swan was appointed by 81 petitioners from Harvey Settlement to be one of five trustees to administer the Harvey Burial Ground.
Harvey celebrates it’s 50th anniversary on July 6.
The Swamp School in Tweedside is completed on July 31.
The Harvey Farmers’ Trading Co. is started (later becoming Watson’s Store).
The Harvey Lake train wreck occurred on January 14.
Harvey Station is now a community with 5 stores, 2 hotels, 3 churches and a population of 250.
Dr. Dougan establishes a hospital is his home.
Thomas Robison builds The Robison Hotel.
Fire destroys Little’s Woolen Mills.
Don Messer is born on May 9 in Tweedside.
An extension is added to the railroad station in Harvey.
The first registered Jersey Cow is brought to Harvey from the USA.
The first World War began on July 28.
Swan’s Garage is opened. Gasoline cost 0.15 per gallon.
The Davis General Store is opened in the village of Harvey Station.
Robison’s Hotel sold after Robison’s death and renamed Brunswick House.
First World War ended November 11.
Royal Bank opens on June 26.
New Brunswick woman can now vote.
The Harvey Jersey Breeders Club is founded.
The two Harvey Presbyterian Churches were renamed as the St. Andrews United Church and the St. James United Church after a controversial split between the Harvey Presbyterians.
The Brunswick House (formerly Robison Hotel) was destroyed by an acetylene explosion.
The Great Depression began on Friday October 27.
There is a fire at the Davis store.
Harvey Station Phone Exchange formally opens on October 29.
The Harvey Creamery is erected.
Electricity comes to Harvey.
Harvey celebrates 100 years with a 3-day celebration starting on July 16.
Canada enters World War Two.
On Feb. 22nd a blaze of unknown origin completely destroyed Watson’s Store, their home and most of the contents.
Harvey Fire Department was formed in Harvey.
Briggs & Little wooden mill is destroyed by a fire.
The Taylor summer home was donated to Harvey to use as hospital.
Construction on Harvey High School is completed.
Harvey Community Hospital was opened February 21
Electricty comes to South Tweedside.
South Tweedside is connected with NBTEL.
On Oct. 8, John F. Kennedy has lunch at the Harvey train station, then boards a train headed to Boston.
The Harvey Curling Club is built.
The Harvey Railway Station is closed and towed across Harvey lake on the ice where it was converted into a cottage which is still in existence.
The grand opening of the new Harvey Commuunity Hospital took place February 22.
Harvey is legally incorporated as a Village by the Minster of Municipal Affairs.
The Harvey Memorial Community Centre is built on land donated by Gilbert Robison.
Don Messer dies on March 29.
The Harvey Creamery closed for good.
In June a grand opening was held for the Fire Station at 2234 Route 3.
The new Harvey High School opens.
The old Harvey High School is demolished.
In February a large fire destroys two buildings in downtown Harvey.
The new Royal Bank opens in Harvey.
The Harvey Senior Citizens Complex opens in August.
The Grandstand located at the “Fair Grounds’ burned to the ground in August.
Taylor Memorial Hall is dismantled.
In November the Briggs and Little Woolen Mill was destroyed by Fire.
Blacks Grocery & Cafe building demolished.