
Harvey settlement was founded in 1837 by settlers predominantly from Wooler, Northumberland UK and surrounding communities in the eastern Borders region of Scotland and England. These first settlers were followed by other families through the late 1850’s, which can be categorized into three distinct groups; chain migrants from the same area of the eastern borders, a few families from Dumfriesshire in the western Borders, and several unrelated settler families from elsewhere in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The Monument
In 1949, a monument to the 1837 settlers was erected next to the the Harvey Settlement Cemetery located 4.5 km south of Harvey Station on Route 3, across the highway from Knox Presbyterian Church (2410 Route 3, Harvey RC, York County, New Brunswick). Mrs. Marjorie Taylor Walthall generously provided most of the funds for its construction. The granite stone forming the support for the plaque was removed from the Levi Wilson property. A service of dedication and unveiling of memorial to the early settlers of Harvey was held on the site and in the vicinity of the first Presbyterian church of the area.

Transcription
IN MEMORY OF
THE FIRST ARRIVING IN 1837 FROM
THE BORDER COUNTRY OF ENGLAND
AND SCOTLAND
THEY LAID FOUNDATIONS DEEP AND WIDE,
ON WHICH TO BUILD THROUGHOUT THE YEARS.
ERECTED BY MARGERY TAYLOR WALTHALL
1949
Family Names of Settlers
Bell, Brown, Carmichael, Cessford, Cockburn (Coburn), Cowe (Cowie), Craigs (Craig), Davidson (Davison), Embleton, Gregg (Grieg), Grieve, Hay, Herbert, Kay, Messer, Montgomery, Mowatt (Mowet), Nesbitt, Patterson, Piercy, Robison, Scott, Tait, Taite, Thompson, Wightman, Wilson
Restoration of Monument
In 2019, Harvey Heritage undertook the restoration of the Harvey Settlers Monument as it had fallen into disrepair. Through generous donations from community members and grants from the Harvey Community Network, the restoration was completed in 2024.
For more information on the Harvey Settlers go to Tim Patterson’s website https://www.harveysettlers.org/harvey
Sources: harveysettlers.org, Article published about the dedication service in the Daily Gleaner on September 15, 1949.