From The Scrapbook By Rev. Bill Randall


February 1997

By Dr. Bill Randall

Sir John Harvey

After reading January’s issue, Louie Messer phoned me and identified the Nell Lister whose name appeared relating to Home Remedies. I’m very grateful for people who will share these bits of information with “From The Scrapbook.

Most of you who are interested in the History of Harvey know that this village was named in honor of His Excellency Major General Sir JOHN HARVEY K.C.B. and K.C.H., Lieutenant Governor of the Province of New Brunswick. I wanted to know a bit more of the background of this distinguished gentleman and found it in a book by Isabel Louise Hill, “The Old Burying Ground Fredericton, N.B. – Vol. III”. I want to share it with you.

John Harvey was born in 1778, he entered the army as an ensign in the 80th regiment under Lord Paget whose natural son he was reputed to be. He was only 16 when he joined the army, and in his first year in the service he carried the colors in an action with the French, winning the praise of his commander. He went through a severe campaign in Holland in that year, and on the coast of France at Queberon in 1795.

In 1796 John Harvey was at the Cape, and was present when the Dutch fleet was captured. Then he was stationed three years in Ceylon, and from there went to Egypt, where he was Major of Brigade under Sir David Baird. Returning to India in 1802, he was appointed to a captaincy and the next year was promoted to be aide-de-camp and military secretary to General Dowdswell in the Maharatta War. The army was under the personal command of Lord Lake, and here he met one of Lord Lake’s daughters, whose hand he obtained in marriage in 1806.

With health somewhat impaired by hard service in hot climates, John Harvey returned to England where he filled various military appointments in England and Ireland. On the breaking out of the war in 1812 he was appointed just a year before the battle of Stoney Creek Deputy Adjutant General of the Forces in Canada and arrived in Halifax on the 14th day of December, 1812. True to his character for promptness and vigor, he set off that very day of his arrival to make the journey overland to Quebec, a journey toilsome enough in the best weather, but perilous in the winter.

In one of his letter written while Fort George was being attacked he remarks that “We have been cannonaded since daylight.”

In New Brunswick, Harvey Settlement, and Harvey were both named, in 1837 and 1838, in honor of Sir John Harvey who was the time Lieutenant Governor of the Province.

When Governor Harvey arrived at Woodstock in 1839, The Woodstock Times reported: …. an immense concourse of people of all classes were assembled to welcome his arrival and as the carriage drawn by four excellent

horses, decorated with ribbons, dashed through the streets, escorted by a troop of the York Hussars with their gay and extremely handsome

uniforms, the scene was most animated.

The departure of Sir John Harvey from New Brunswick was reported as follows:

On Monday evening, May 3rd, 1841 at 7 o’clock, Major General

Sir John Harvey arrived at Indian Town in the streamer Fredericton.

Sir John was accompanied by Lady Harvey, Captain and Mrs.

Tryon, Mr. Henry Harvey, R.N., Mr. Warwick Harvey, 36th

Regiment, Mr. F., Harvey, 34th Regiment, and Brigade Major


In 1841, Sir John Harvey was appointed Governor of Newfoundland, and the next year was made a Knight Commander of the Hanoverian Guelphic Order. In 1846, he was appointed Governor of Nova Scotia, and remained there till he died.

Sir John Harvey is buried at Halifax. Next to Brock himself no braver character than Colonel Harvey figured in the war of 1812. He figured heroically in a score of battles in 1812-13 including Lundy’s Lane and Chrysler’s Farm. He received a medal for his action at Chrysler’s Farm which victory was largely due to his bravery and skill. Had he been in supreme command in Upper Canada the story of the British arms would have been a record of greater glory than it is.

Another name of importance to the history of Harvey is that of Thomas Baillie Surveyor General of this province. It was under his direction that the Harvey Settlement lots were laid out – also his name was given the community at the intersection of Rts. – Charlotte County.

Thomas Baillie was born on the 4th of October 1795 at Hanwell a suburb of London. In 1824 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Transley Hall in Limerick.

Thomas and Elizabeth Baillie went to London on their wedding trip. There the happy couple heard that an important position was vacant. Anthony Lockwood, the Surveyor General of New Brunswick had reported to Lord Bathurst, Minister of State for War and the Colonies. Anthony Lockwood was highly regarded in London and rightly so. He must have told of the state of His Majesty’s Council in New Brunswick – consisting of elderly Loyalists, all friends or connexions of Ward Chipman, upon whose advice appointments were made; Chipman’s friends or sons of his friends were put in executive positions.

In 1824, immediately after their arrival, Thomas Baillie was a steward at the Fredericton races, and had remained as such for years. In 1841 the stewards were Thomas Baillie; Capt. Griffin; Mr. Holland of the 69th Regiment; Dr. Woodford; and Mr. Street.

William Baird wrote in “Seventy Years in New Brunswick”, that officials had liveried servants, thoroughbred horses fashionable equipages and outriders.

A ready speaker, Baillie was chairman of the active St. Patrick’s Society of Fredericton. Colonel George Minchin was the vice-chairman. Mr. Baillie was chairman of the meeting called to organize the Mechanics Institute of Fredericton in September 1842, at which time there were one hundred and twenty-five men present, in Beckwith’s Long Room over the present Gaiety Store. Thomas Baillie was a trustee of the Bank of British North America. He was grandly conspicuous, of irresistible charm and weathered the storms of changing government and policy. Indeed a prominent citizen.

The Hon. Thomas Baillie, and family left Fredericton in 1851. They settled in Holewin House, Ferryside, near Eldwilly, Carmarthanshire, and Wales. He had been Surveyor General for twenty seven years and had always kept in touch with his Regiment.

Thomas Baillie died on the 20th of May, 1863, at Boulogne while travelling on the continent. He was survived by his wife Elizabeth (Odell) and five children – 2 sons by his first wife – William Douglas Hall and Thomas George and three daughters Elizabeth Odell, Caroline Emma, and Helen Isabella.

He was succeeded as Surveyor General by Hon. Robert Duncan Wilmot in 1851.

Source: Rev. Bill Randall’s “From The Scrapbook Vol. One.”

Recommended Reading

Interested in learning more about the rich history and heritage of the Harvey region? Here are a few blog posts that might pique your interest: